Monday, March 7, 2011

Flying, Flurries, and Forsaken Footware

10 days on the Texas/Louisiana circut for the holidays was fun but there was a part of me that was really looking forward to getting back to New York. It had it finally snowed a big snow while I was away and I was super stoked to try out my new boots! I had visions of me bundled up with my adorable jackets and scarves and hats and gloves frolicking in a winter wonderland, starting snowball fights, and building snowmen with the neighborhood children... But before all that fun could be had, I had to make it back...
My flight out was not until 5:30 PM so I had plenty of time to get last minute visits in and pack. Getting everything to fit in my bag was a challenge but "Professional Packer Julia" stepped in! She rolled everything into little balls and shoved shirts and socks into all my shoes and every crevasse of the bag. I had received two decent sized skillets and a set of sheets which she fit in there too. My bag weighed exactly 49.5 lbs- if it it over 50 lbs you have to pay extra... WHEW!
The flight back was boring but I did have the new Professor Layton DS game so I stayed busy. The guy sitting next to me was playing some sort of racing game that he was really getting mad at. There I was trying to complete puzzles and unlock secrets on my quest of "The Unwound Future," and there he was yelling "dammit" and stomping his big feet. Not ideal.
I knew it had snowed while I was gone, but for some reason I did not take that into consideration when dressing for my flight back. I was sporting a T-shirt, cotton pants, and my crocs... comfortable on a warm plane, stupid when standing in a taxi line for two hours ouside the airport in a blizzard. Luckily my backpack had a sweatshirt in it (spillover from my bulging suitcase.) I finally made it into a cab and told him 121 Seaman- by 207 and Broadway... where does he take me??? 121st street in Harlem... not even close. After I correct him and he throws a little fit, I told him to just drop me off at the train station and I'd hit up the A. He told me no. Wow. He then proceeded to yell at some woman crossing the street- he actually opened his door, and in heavily accented and broken english, insulted her with pretty much every explitive I've ever heard of. Great... I'm about to get gunned down in Harlem... Welcome home Sara...
We make it out of there and arrive in front of my building. He totals up my ride and the asshole includes a toll AND does not take off for taking me to the wrong place. I considered putting up a fight but really I was just gald to finally be back. I paid... and then he bitched about the amount of tip I gave him. I just glared at him until he drove away.
So 8 hours after leaving Houston, the only thing standing between me and my apartment was a 2ft mound of snow. I stood there quite a while trying to figure out how I was going to conquer this frozen fortress. My only option was to barrel through it. My feet immediately sunk and slipped- Crocs and socks- once again, not ideal... Then I had to try to dead-lift my heavy bag over the mound... Going 10ft had never taken me so long...
I made it in, had a beer, and thawed my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment